PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IN DECISION-MAKING PROCESSES
Dear South Africa is encouraging all to provide written comments in support of or objection to the Application for the General Release of glyphosate resistant genetically modified maize into the South African environment.
Closing date: 12 September 2018
- Maize is a staple food for majority of South Africans.
- Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (Pty) Ltd (DuPont Pioneer) hereby informs the public of its intention to submit applications for the general release of genetically modified maize into the South African environment.
- Two genetically modified types have been bred to produce a new herbicide and insecticide resistant maize.
one is from Dow and resistant to glufosinate-amonium herbicide and insects
- the other is from Monsanto and resistant to glyphosate (Round UP)
- The general release application is intended to allow the planting of the new GMO maize in many commercial maize growing regions to use the SA environment as a testing ground to produce GM seeds which will not be commercially available.
- this application is to bulk up seed which will be sprayed with glufosinate-amonium herbicide and Monsanto’s glyphosate (Round Up).
For live comments, summary, media or resource documents, and to leave your comment visit https://dearsouthafrica.co.za/gmo/.
Let`s be active citizens, this is important.